Industry wants new cyber solutions and Georgia Tech students have them
All students are invited to compete before venture capitalists and industry leaders at the Institute for Information Security & Privacy's Cybersecurity Demo Day. Students can win up to $125,000 in cash and prizes to gain exposure for their work or move great ideas to market. Investors can discover the next cybersecurity solution.
Phase 2: Get Coaching to Improve Your Ideas
There is more to win!
Every team that presented a poster during Phase 1 on Sept. 27, 2017 is qualified to continue toward the ultimate prize package, worth up to $125,000!
Monthly Coaching Sessions
Klaus Advanced Computing Building
266 Ferst Dr., Room #3126, Atlanta
In Phase 2, teams will have the opportunity to receive six entrepreneurial coaching sessions by VentureLab. These 90-minute sessions help contestants pre-assess the potential impact of their ideas, hone a market pitch under the "Commercialization Track," or perfect a research presentation under the "Research Track."
Coaching sessions are located in the Klaus Advanced Computing Building, 266 Ferst Drive, Room #3126, unless otherwise noted.
- Oct. 5 at 12:30 - 2 p.m. (required)
- Nov. 2 at 12:30 - 2 p.m.
- Jan. 11 at 12:30 - 2 p.m.
- Feb. 8 at 12:30 - 2 p.m.
- Mar. 8 at 12:30 - 2 p.m.
- Apr. 5 at 12:30 - 2 p.m. (required). Location TBD.
Led by Julie Collins and Melissa Heffner, who have extensive experience working with early-stage startups, these coaching sessions will help contestants deliver unforgettable presentations and be among the most qualified to succeed at the Demo Day Finale on April 12, 2018.
Finalists will be selected during the semi-final on March 8 at 12:30 p.m. Then, seven teams will compete before business leaders and guest judges for a range of prizes during the Demo Day Finale on April 12, 2018.
This year's prize pool is valued at more than $125,000, thanks to Georgia Tech's participation in the National Science Foundation Innovation Corps (I-Corps) program and the generous support of Create-X Startup LAUNCH. Audience vote selected three teams from the poster session on Sept. 27 to advance straight to the Spring Finale when the grand prizes are awarded! But all students can continue to compete by attending six, 90-minute coaching sessions about evidence-based entrepreneurism between October and April. More finalists will be invited into the Finale from the coaching class cohort. Those who complete the coaching will be among the most qualified to succeed at the Finale. Don't miss this chance to grow as a researcher, entrepreneur and persuasive presenter. Good luck and may the best ideas win!
How to Compete
1. Register your best cybersecurity research idea by Sept. 25, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. Projects may be in any stage -- nascent or near-ready! All ideas and inventions are welcome.
2. Download, complete and sign the Rules and Eligibility form, and the Public Disclosure Acknowledgement and Waiver form. Return signed forms to the contact specified on the form. Read more about Intellectual Property at Georgia Tech and the services to assist you.
Present a research poster, Sept. 27.
- Bring your research to the IISP Cybersecurity Demo Day at the Georgia Tech Cyber Security Summit (GT CSS '17) on Sept. 27.
- Audience picks 3 finalists for initial cash prize of $500 and recognition as "People's Choice" winners; advances 3 teams to the IISP Cybersecurity Demo Day Finale in April 2018.
- One team will win a fast-track "Golden Ticket" into Create-X Startup LAUNCH to work alongside business mentors and Atlanta investors.
All teams may continue to compete. Receive entrepreneurial coaching from VentureLab.
- All teams may continue to compete for 3 remaining spots in the Finale with coaching by VentureLab. Choose a Track:
- Commercialization Track: Learn to identify your market, customer, and every answer you’ll need to satisfy more investors. Taught by NSF I-Corps and VentureLab.
- Research Track: Gain project funding, presentation coaching, and a private critique by faculty and business leaders to improve future pitches about your work.
- Meet monthly, October - April.
- Try out for one of 3 remaining spots in the Finale.
Pitch business leaders at the IISP Cybersecurity Demo Day Finale on April 12, 2018.
- Deliver your best presentation for a chance to win:
– up to $5,000 cash!
– spot in the Create-X Startup LAUNCH incubator, including $20,000 toward your prototype, $50,000 in free legal services, and 27-weeks of free business mentoring!
– eligibility for $50,000 grant from National Science Foundation!
- Presently enrolled in a degree program Georgia Tech and in good academic standing
- Graduate students or undergraduates paired with at least one graduate student
- Research project involves one of the core, cybersecurity areas at the Institute for Information Security & Privacy
- Participation is endorsed by the research principal investigator (or, if not applicable, a faculty sponsor or lab director) from Georgia Tech
- Must prepare a research poster and attend Fall 2017 Demo Day at the Georgia Tech Cyber Security Summit on Sept. 27 at 3 p.m.